Saturday, March 19, 2011

Tulips and Blooms

Well I decided it was time to use a little more of that discounted remnant fabric I picked up. So I went to the fabric counter and grabbed a few more supplies just to fill in the gaps of my stash. If all goes well by weekend's end I'll have another dress or two to share. Worked up a pattern for a jumper that crisscrosses in back giving the hem the shape of an upside down tulip. I figure this will work really well with those ruffle-bum bloomers. My draft dress for this pattern will be kinda Rock N Roll.... I have some old-school pinstripe flame fabric I picked up for skullcaps (which I intended to make when hub had his motorcycle, only to find out he didn't want a skullcap, just wanted a bandanna to tie across his mouth to keep bugs out...) Also had picked up a crazy black and white warped check fabric. So the flames are the outside, the checks are inside - the dress will potentially be reversible but I doubt anyone wants to try and watch a toddler run around in the crazy checks (they're mindbendingly skewed) - but the flaming bloomers will have some checked ruffles, and its possible the lining may show so I wanted it to be fun on either side.

If this dress pattern turns out, the next dresses will be: frog/turtle/bugs green theme, butterfly summer theme, and a blue picnic gingham. All will be things that will continue to fit a while as she grows - longer dress for 12-18 mo size, tunic and bloomers for 24 mo, and as she's 2T, it'll be a swing top. I hope. And all season - light sweater and leg warmers for spring, alone for summer, tee shirt and leggings for fall, turtleneck/long sleeve and tights or pants for winter - as long as the colors fit the season, that is.;)

Dress 1 is cut out and pinned for the first bit of sewing. Bloomers too. Just need to muddle through the other weekend plans first... like my twins' 13th birthday party today. Eeeyugghhh I feel old! We will be cooking out on the grill trying to save some bucks - usually we go out for a birthday meal but it's tight right now and feeding a family of 7 in town can get pricey!

No comments:

Post a Comment